Monthly Archives: May 2011

Irregular Chunks

I feel like a rockstar! After 2.5 days of programming, I’ve finished rewriting the procedural generation code so that the seams between the chunks all but disappear! Before, chunks were perfect squares of 64×64 brick spaces. Technically they still are,

Posted in Against the Wall

Post-Competition Game

Now that voting for the Ludum Dare is over and the scores have been released, I’ve decided to put up a build of the newest version of Against the Wall. You’ll find the web player on the Play page. Since

Posted in Against the Wall, Game Builds

Against the Wall (Alpha 0.2)

Version Alpha 0.2 of Against the Wall, a first person platformer originally conceived for the Ludum Dare  competition #20. The Theme for that competition was “It’s Dangerous to Go Alone, Take This.” In this game, the player is on a

Posted in Against the Wall

Sound and Tangents

Today was spent entirely on writing a sound manager that instantiates a small number of audio sources that are repeatedly used, for footsteps, the movement of bricks, etc. I’ve also given the world an ambient wind sound for good measure.

Posted in Against the Wall

Save and Load

Ever spend hours fixing something that turned out to be simple oversight? I just spent two hours on a portion of the “load” script that was loading chunks with additional info from all the other chunks. Hard to explain, but

Posted in Against the Wall


In the last few days, I implemented head-bobbing and “chunk overrides”, which basically preempts the procedural generation of certain chunks to insert author or player created bricks and other items. Took a big chunk of time to do so, but it serves

Posted in Against the Wall

Brief Update

My grad school finals period ended last Monday and now I have some time to work on the project. Problem is that without time constraints, production has actually been slower. I can probably say that I’ve accomplished more in the

Posted in Against the Wall

The Infinite Wall

Just a few updates since last week that will lead to my Alpha 1.0 release of the game. First, I implemented an inventory system in which the player can store and use items that they pick up. This is akin

Posted in Against the Wall


Against the Wall is a videogame in its prototype stage. It is set against the side of a wall that stretches infinitely in every direction. The player must travel up the wall by manipulating its bricks, pulling them partially out

Posted in Uncategorized

Against the Wall (Alpha 0.1)

Against the Wall Prototype Version, created for the Ludum Dare #20.

Posted in Against the Wall